Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Through a local lens No. 1



This is part of Bardou, a tiny hamlet hidden in the mountains a little to the north of where we live. It was restored almost completely by a remarkable German, Klaus Erhardt, who made its restoration his life's work. Before Klaus' arrival in the 1970s Bardou was in ruins and virtually deserted. Little by little he bought up all the 15-odd properties and restored them, taking care to preserve - as far as possible - traditional methods and materials. It irked him to his life's end in 2009 that the owners of two ruins refused to sell to him.

Occasionally Klaus, whose English was excellent, would invite friends to read Shakespeare plays round his dining-room table. Naturally he liked the plum parts. Once the question of who was to read Bottom in A Midsummer Night's Dream, he or I, was only decided by the spin of a coin. What knowledge I have of Shakespeare is partly due to Klaus.

But today all you have to do is count the peacocks*.

*© Rog

UPDATE: In an unpredictable focus-swerve, this post has now become a forum for bird-sliding.

In the photo below of Thames barges, taken in Maldon, Essex, each time a fresh starling alighted (alit?) on the rigging the incumbents all slid down a place to make room. Any other pictures of birds sliding will be welcome.



Good afternoon.

18 comments:

Rog said...

Spinning a coin to decide who is going to be Bottom?!!!

Is this some sort of Public School thing or did you make this up for comedic effect? It won't stand Klaus inspection.

Anyway I make it 7 Peacocks but then I am somewhat of an expert.

patroclus said...

Are the peacocks attempting to recreate this stunt?

Dave said...

I also made it seven, but there's a faint hint of blue at the extreme right, which could be another, hiding in the shrubbery.

Oh, and there's another one in the comment column.

Christopher said...

Rog: Thank you. For 'read' read 'read' and not 'ream'.

Patroclus: Undoubtedly, tho' the idea hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it. I've now updated accordingly.

Dave: I didn't like to suggest that interested parties might like to 'embiggenize' as I think you hold rights to this word, but in doing so it may be that you have outed all the peacocks there are to be seen.

Z: (in anticipation) Huh! But have you ever been to Pisa?

Rog said...

What about this

I, Like The View said...

this?

Christopher said...

Rog, Jax: Thanks, both. I take it these are images drawn from your respective everyday cosy domestic scenes?

Dave said...

I have been in ILTV's house. I can confirm that there are scantily-clad dancing girls on every step. I kept tripping over them.

I, Like The View said...

it's true

*hangs head in shame*

(or was he chez moi on this night?)(don't tell him, but I took a photo as he left) (with Vicus)

Christopher said...

I thought as much. I've heard she was once one of Pan's People. Old habits die hard, and when she gets some of her old pals round of an afternoon for a drop of the lapsang and a sliver of lemon drizzle cake, the hoofing starts. I expect you've heard their star song-and-dance number:

Oh, me ole bamboo, me ole bamboo,
You'd better never bother with me ole bamboo!
You can take me 'at an' me bumbershoot,
But you'd better never bother with me ole bamboo!


(Ian Fleming, 1908-1964)

Legs, you say! Phwoar!

Christopher said...

...and of course when it comes to the lapsang and the jazz, Some like it hot...

Vicus Scurra said...

I have better things to do than count peacocks.

Sarah said...

Can I suggest someone throws a bucket of cold water over Dave....just been over to 'his' and Fb.....and judging by his comments, he's obviously feeling better and the sap's rising..LOL

Sliding starlings? bizzaare

Christopher said...

Come, Vicus, a gentleman of leisure and ascetic habit should aspire to nothing more pleasurably calming to the soul than counting peacocks.

Dave said...

Odd I nearly made a comment on FB about the sap rising, but thought it sounded rude.

mig said...

I'm glad I didn't have to count the starlings. It's really hard to keep track.

tom said...

I just stumbled across your blog while googling Bardou. I spent an amazing week there in 1979 and remember well the wondering rainy Sunday spent with a group of fellow travelers and Klaus reading Macbeth. I think I only had one line to read but it will always be a cherished memory. I recently went back for a week and just published two stories about Bardou on my new blog. Please check them out as I think you will enjoy them! www.122streetkitchen.com

Christopher said...

Tom, thank you for this. Before I trot down the street looking for No. 122, may I point you in the direction (you've probably been there already, but just in case) of a more recent Bardou post entitled 'Enmausoleumment' published at Lydian Airs on November 2nd?