Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Not much hair today, gone tomorrow



I wouldn't like you to think that you weren't kept up to date with Lydian Airs day-to-day trivia, and it's in this spirit of candid openness that I record that last week I had my hair cut.

I go down to the village to Sophie. I used to go to the men-only barber, but he doesn't open very often. Before that we had an itinerant hairdresser who came to the house, but this person's tongue was so loose about the not always very glorious doings of other clients that we preferred not to imagine what might be related about us, so we moved on.

Sophie, as lively a conversationalist as she is good as a hairdresser, acknowledges that business is always a bit flat during the waxing moon. Past full moon, as it will be very soon, business picks up. Local wisdom has it that growth follows the phases of the moon. Hence it is more economical, particularly for her lady customers, to patronise her under a waning moon.

It doesn't matter much to me. There's so little hair left that I'm grateful for any growth, whether the moon be waxing, waning, new or blue.

11 comments:

Dave said...

Last year I bought myself a professional trimmer. After three months it had paid for itself. Now I never need put myself in the hands of a barber again.

Rog said...

Itinerant hairdressers are nevery good with apostrophes either.

"Lap me in soft Lydian Hair"

Rog said...

Never Very - I think "nevery" is a good new word.

Christopher said...

I think Lap me in soft Lydian Hair was the sub-title of Dave's poem this morning.

Anonymous said...

To encourage "Lydian Hair" rubbing a full round French cheese on your bonse might do the trick during any phase of the moon.

letouttoplay said...

Ah! and I wonder if the same principle applies to teeth. Could I save myself dentists bills by only visiting when the moon is full? I must take a moon calendar next time I have to see him.

english inukshuk said...

when Teen Too is told that he needs a trim, he visits a very exclusive salon. . . only a few paces away, no appointment necessary and totally free!

(-;

I'm wondering why your J doesn't possess a pair of hairdresser's scissors - then you wouldn't need to worry about the phases of the moon

(-;

Christopher said...

Anon: I shall pass on your original but unappealing suggestion to Rosie, to see if it helps her with her dream problem. (That's to say her problem with dreams, not her ideal, platonically-perfect problem.)

Mig: Are your teeth still growing?

IE: Should I make an appointment or just turn up? And do you have a suitable collection of tatty magazines? And suggestions for the weekend?

Hector said...

I can lend you my clippers for a small fee - they've already paid for themselves so I'm straight into profit.

Christopher said...

Very kind, Hector, thank you, but I'm already training J. in the use of the electric hedge-trimmer.

Hector said...

Thought she used nail scissors for the hedge - by the way it appears that Hector jumped off the page in my last message - must be too many bees up his kilt!

I think he has come back again - with today's weather the bees are safely tucked away.