Monday, 21 February 2011

Nice one, Olive


Some weeks ago I was writing about our first-ever crop of olives from the young tree (below) which my choir gave J. and me three years ago.

We harvested the olives, a very small but highly flavoured variety called Cailletier, soaked them in frequent changes of cold water for several weeks, drained them, and then soaked them in brine for a day or two.

J. then bottled them in olive oil with some bay leaves, a sprig of thyme and one or two of the immature lemons that fell off the tree when it blew over in a sudden gale some days ago.

They're the tiny olives round the edge of the salade niçoise pictured above. They're delicious. Somehow I don't think they're going to last very long. I wish you could be here to try them before they disappear.

9 comments:

moreidlethoughts said...

D'you know...I just might have taken you up on that sideways invitation. But the recent long-haul travail was just too much for me. But if you'd like to spend some time inthe troopics...

Oops! Our Customs wouldn't allow you to bring the olives. Shame.

Dave said...

It's not really salad weather here.

Rosie said...

Recipe please. I love those olives.

Z said...

So do I.

letouttoplay said...

I expect they've disappeared now.
(So did the comment I thought I'd posted yesterday).
Oh well.

english inukshuk said...

yum!

Christopher said...

MIT: Maybe I could bring some fermented grape juice instead?

Dave: Not in your salad days, then?

Rosie: You do well to ask. If you'd followed the original recipe hints you might have had immediate need of el gaviscono.

1. Soak olives in cold water for 10 days, changing water daily

2. Prepare 10% brine (i.e. 90% water, 10% salt. Bring to boil, put in fennel seeds, bay leaves, coriander. Simmer for 15 minutes, allow to cool.

3. Transfer brine to very clean container. Drain olives, put them in brine. Leave in dark place for 5 weeks or more, until brine has thoroughly penetrated olive 'meat'.

4. When ready remove from brine, store in jars in olive oil with herbs according to taste, whole lemon segments.

5. If preferred, the olive oil can be poured off, leaving olives with a coating of oil to which herbs etc. will adhere, i.e. à la grecque.

Mig: There are are still a few left, but they're disappearing fast. You may have to make do with virtual ones.

IE: Yum indeed.

Christopher said...

Z: Sorry. You got missed out somehow. Please consider the recipe is for you too.

Rosie said...

I shall try that. Many thanks. You should try salted lemons (homemade). They are great in salads and stews and with fish.