Monday, 23 April 2012

Through a local lens No.12


Yesterday morning I went down early to the village to buy a few croissants. I've long since grown out of this ikon of francophiles, but as M. Gosset the master baker is retiring in a couple of days J. and I thought we might treat ourselves. Oh dear.

But we will miss a special wholemeal bread he makes, especially as it comes in the form of the sliced pan loaf, so handy for sandwiches or the toaster. There's been a bit of playing the futures market here, to the extent that our freezer now houses some 18 Gosset loaves.

M. Gosset is Belgian, yet another of the expats who have holed up round here. He assures everyone that croissants originally came from the Near East. His compatriot Godefroi de Bouillon brought them back from the crusades in about 1100. We may have been privileged to have had some of the originals.




5 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

You are trying to lure me into asking whether they are stale by now, aren't you? Well, I'm not falling for that one.

Martin said...

So glad to hear that you have risen to the occasion of M. Gosset's retirement.

Sir Bruin said...

I'm sure you only stocked up because you kneaded to.
I do recall something about croissants coming from the Near East, which would explain the crescent shape.

Hector said...

Life will never be the same after the closure of M. Gosset's fine bakery - the older I get the more I fancy a Biterroise, at least once a week.
For those requiring enlightenment this delight is described as follows:- La Biterroise est un pain aux raisins fourré à la compote de pommes.

Mike and Ann said...

Only last Friday I was reprimanded by Renee who runs our local Cafe Church for requesting one of his croissants as:- "and one of those flaky French jobs, please". Bit touchy, some of these continental types don't you find?