(The writing has come out much smaller than I thought it would. The upper inscription says 'Campbell Lammerton', and the lower '(Drawn by) Miss Watts'. Now you can put your glasses back on/take them off.)
Going through some old papers with a view to
1. Yes, I did smoke a pipe.
2. No, I did not play rugby for Scotland.
3. Yes, I did sometimes need to stand on a rostrum.
4. No, I can't remember who Miss Watts was, but Angela Gordon was gorgeous.
5. Yes, I did have a beard.
1. With some effort, I stopped smoking in June 1985. The least agonising way to give up was to concentrate on activities in which I was physically unable to smoke a pipe. For some reason I could never play the piano and smoke at the same time. I've never played better since. I gave my one and only piano recital at that time. Or take a bath, that was something else incompatible with smoking. I was very clean. My first wife did not notice that I'd given up. She gave me a 2oz tin of Gold Block pipe tobacco for the following Christmas.
2. Still no call from the SRFA selection committee. I fear it may be too late.
3. I think I may have grown since.
4. Miss Watts, if you happen to read this, you might like to remind me who you were? (No impersonations, please.)
5. I didn't keep it very long. There were inexplicable ginger hairs in it.