Friday, 16 March 2012

Through a local lens No. 11


This afternoon while rootling about behind the house tidying up after the winter I was vouchsafed the vision of a salamander, photo above.

According to the old Oikopoiesis legend, to those who are privileged to see salamanders, fabulous wealth is promised. That or eternal condemnation to write quirky and facetious blog posts. It's one or the other. There's no choice. I wonder which will come my way?

And mention of visions leads me to something strange I read recently in Graham Robb's book, The Discovery of France. In 1858 Catholic France was astir with stories of a 14-year-old girl, Bernadette Soubirous, who lived in the foothills of the Pyrenees in a - then- nasty little village called Lourdes. Visions of the Virgin Mary appeared to her and to her sister and a friend on almost twenty different occasions. Less publicised was a similar apparition 12 years earlier, when the Virgin Mary appeared to a boy and girl looking after sheep near Grenoble. They threw stones at it and it went away.


10 comments:

Tim said...

My favourite miracle was performed by Egidio of Taranto. Having learnt that a cow had been wrongly purloined and butchered by a local merchant, he caused the various parts of the cow to be reassembled, in roughly the right order, on the butcher's floor. Egidio then uttered the appropriate words, whereupon Catherine (that was the cow's name) reassembled herself and wandered off contentedly.

Rog said...

I was once with a group of 200 expectant souls gathered together after a rumour had gone round that there would be a sighting of the blessed Virgin. Nothing appeared. It was Lancaster Station.

Rog said...

It's been such a long time since I vouchsafed. And you can even do it in your garden?!!!

Christopher said...

Yes, Tim, this St Egidio of Taranto (I'm afraid I misread Toronto at first, thus putting a completely different frame round it) seems to have had extraordinary powers - apparently he also brought back to wriggling life a wheelbarrow-load of dead eels. I expect he saved a sole or two in his day. (Rog told me in a vision that was vouchsafed to me me to put this in.) Far from mediaeval, he was active in the late 18th century.

Rog: Lancaster Station? Was she on the Glasgow night express? I thought it only stopped at Morecambe and Heysham (Alight Here For Isle of Man and Larne Ferries) and then Carlisle. No wonder you were disappointed. I hope you didn't discharge your stones at the station windows.

Z said...

I'd be thrilled to see a salamander and it would be quite enough reward in itself. If, to your readers' dismay, you ever stop blogging, I trust the reason will be the acquisition of that fabulous wealth - and if we hear of a major bank heist in your neck of the woods, I'm sure that no one will breathe a word.

Christopher said...

Z: 3rd line, 6th word - it is very good of you to place the apostrophe after the s.

Thank you.

Mike and Ann said...

With six (no seven now) comments it is perfectly obvious that the apostrophe must go after the s.

Christopher said...

This is very true, M 'n' A, tho' two (no three now) are in fact from me. I'm just so gratified to have more than one reader that I felt I had to give credit where it was due.

mig bardsley said...

A prophetic legend? Are you sure you couldn't do both?
I hope you didn't throw stones at the vision.

Jaket Kulit Asli Garut said...

very interesting and very helpful at all for me because this article is very interesting and tasty read

agen jaket kulit asli domba garut
sentra jaket kulit asli sukaregang di garut
sejarah menarik jaket kulit asli indonesia
Harga Jaket Kulit Berkualitas Asli Garut
daftar jaket kulit asli terbaru
kerajinan jaket kulit asli premium